The Oracle iPlanet Web server is based on Sun Java system web server, Sun ONE web server, and Netscape Enterprise server products. The server is designed to help for small and medium size business platforms. In this article, we will go through the process of SSL certificate installation on the Oracle iPlanet Web Server.
Generate the CSR:
Before purchasing the SSL certificate, you need to generate the CSR for which you have to go through the below procedure.
- Login to the Web Server and select server tab
- Now select the iPlanet server from the drop down menu and click on Manage box.
- Now select the Security tab, and on the left sidebar, click on “Request a Certificate”
- To generate the CSR, fill the details like common name, telephone no., email address, organization name, country, state, locality, etc. Make sure to write your own email address in CA e-mail field box.
- Your CSR is generated now that will be required during a certificate request.
Download & Extract the Certificate:
After ordering an SSL certificate, the CA sends certificate zip files in email. You have to download and extract files (primary, intermediate and root certificate) on the server directory.
Install SSL Certificates:
- Log in to the Oracle iPlanet web server and select the server to configure the SSL certificate. Now, press Manage button.
- Now select the Security tab, and on the left side frame, click on Install Certificate.
- Here, you will find “Certificate for” default option, namely “This Server” which you have to change to Trusted Certificate Authority (CA).
- Enter password in Key Pair File Password box generated during CSR generation.
Upload Root Certificate:
- To upload Root certificate, first you have to enter Root Certificate name in the given box.
- You can enter Root certificate name or upload the certificate. To upload the certificate, you can find the directory where you have stored the certificate and select the certificate in “Message in this file”. To type the certificate name, you can open the root certificate file in the text editor, copy and paste the content in the Message text (with headers) box.
- Now Press OK button and you will have certificate information.
- Click on Add Sever certificate (any pop-up message is accepted)
Upload Intermediate Certificate File:
- Again, you should go with “Certificate for” option where you have to choose “Server certificate chain”. After that, you have to follow above 4 to 7 steps.
Upload Certificate File:
- After uploading the Root and Intermediate certificates, you have to upload certificate file. Now proceed again “Certificate for” option and select “This server”, then leave the blank “Certificate name” box. Now you should complete the process by following above 4 to 7 steps.
Configure SSL on iPlanet Server:
Now, all SSL certificates are now uploaded successfully; the time has now to configure your iPlanet Server.
- Under Oracle iPlanet web server, click on Preferences tab and select “Add Listen Socket”.
- Click on “Encryption On/Off” button and select it as ON. Now enter port number 443. (For iPlanet 4.x server)
- Click OK, then Save and Restart the server.
Note: if you are using other iPlanet server version, then you have to follow the below process.
- Under Oracle iPlanet web server, click on Preference tab and select “Add Listen Socket”.
- Now add the details in “Add Listen Socket”; the details may include Add the listen socket ID, IP address, Port number as 443, Server Name.
- Select Security drop-down as Enabled & Default Virtual Server ID and then press ok button.
- Restart the server.
Once an SSL installation process has been completed on Oracle iPlanet Web Server, then ensure that the certificate is installed correctly and valid by using our SSL Installation Checker tool. It will help you to diagnose SSL errors to make your website trusted and secure.