Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 is an upgrade version to its earlier version 2003. Exchange server 2007 brings clustering options, X64 support, voice mail integration, new interface. Exchange 2007 offers different server roles like Edge transport, Hub transport, Mailbox, Unified messaging.
It is essential to have an SSL certificate to secure communication between two ends. It is first step to generate certificate signing request (CSR) to install SSL on your server. Here at we described step by step instructions to create CSR on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.
- To generate the CSR, you need to use Exchange Management Shell of Microsoft Exchange 2007.
- Browse Start>>Program>>Microsoft Exchange Server 2007>>Exchange Management Shell.
- Copy the below command to paste into Notepad to change some objects.
New-ExchangeCertificate -GenerateRequest -SubjectName "C=US, L=City, S=State, O=Company Name, OU=Organizational Unit, CN=www.website.com" -privatekeyexportable:$true -keysize 2048 -Path c:\certificate_request.txt
Terms Descriptions Examples C Country code of your organization location US L Name of your organization’s city Forest Hills S Name of your organization’s state New York O Name of organization legal registered name BusinessName LLC OU Organizational Unit IT CN main FQDN (fully qualified domain name) www.example.com -privatekeyexportable To enable export of the certificate $true -keysize Certificates key length must be 2048-bit 2048 -Path the path and filename of generated CSR c:\certificate_request.txt
- After editing the above fields, copy and paste the command into Exchange Management Shell and press Enter.
- If the command is successful, it will return with thumbprint. Your CSR thumbprint is generated, copy and paste the content in a text file including —–BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST—–.
- Now, you should choose SSL certificate and submit all contents of the generated CSR during order process.
- CA will verify your request and follow validation process before issuing your certificate.
Once you received your certificate via email from preferred certificate authority, you should install an SSL certificate on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.